Thursday, February 27, 2014

Real Friends Can Be Rare These Days(Being Your Own Best Friend).

I was thinking recently how many of us defined the word "friendship" while we growing up. From my own perspective, I viewed my friends from my childhood and high school days like my brothers. I never based my handful of friends on how cool or popular they were, nor how much wealth their family had, or how I could personally benefit by being friends with them. There's a principal that I had, and I still hold it to this very day; if I like you as a person, then I like you for who you are. It seems like peoples' definition of friendship has changed quite a bit just like everything else in the world. I say this because it appears that these days, coming across real friends can be a rarity. It's okay though, sometimes you have to be your own best friend. Welcome to another edition of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'.

Alright, alright what's good people? Hope everyone is doing well, staying up, and continuing to maintain. As you can tell, this week's blog post will entail my thoughts friendship, and how rare it seems it is these days to find real friends. I'm also going to briefly talk about why I think it's important to be your own best friend at times. Now as I mentioned earlier, it seems like friendship these days is just a word that people toss around like a ball. I'm not saying that this is the case with everyone. I do realize that there are people in the world that are real friends to others. In fact, I can say without a doubt that I have a couple of friends that I know are real friends to me.

So what defines a real friend to me? Well in my opinion, a true friend is a person that stands the test of time. A true friend is someone that is there for you whenever you pick up the phone to call them and if they're too busy to talk right then, they'll call you back whenever they get the chance. A true friend may not always agree with your thoughts and ideas about certain topics and issues, but if they do happen to disagree with you, they'll do it respectfully. More importantly, a real friend respects and supports you unconditionally. Real friends will want you to be happy, and they won't say or do anything to deter you from that. Those are some of the qualities and traits that I think about when I think of a real friend. Everyone has their own personal definition and expectations of what a real friend is, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

As I pointed out before, I seem to be noticing these days that many people only want to be friends with someone because of what they can do for them. It almost seems like people that carry on like this don't care much about a person for who they are, they're more overly concerned with what you can do for them. The second that you can't do anything for them, they kick you to the curb like a field goal kicker would kick a football through the goal post. Terrible analogy right! At any rate, a lot of these people that aren't sincere in their intentions are not real friends in my opinion. If anything, I would classify people that think and carry on like this as being users, and we all know that there are definitely a lot of those hovering around these days.

There are several points that I want to drive home before ending this week's post. First off, do your research on people before you classify them as a friend of yours. If you want to know how to reveal a person's true intentions, just keep the word "time" in mind. Time truly reveals who is a true friend and who isn't. Secondly, don't be afraid to be your own best friend if need be. When I say be your own best friend, I'm talking about being comfortable with being alone for a bit, and not settling for other people that probably don't have your best interest in mind. Finally, view your life like it's simple math. If someone that you claim to be a friend is too busy for you, or isn't saying or doing anything to empower you, then it's maybe time to subtract them from your life. At the end of the day, everyone that you claim to be your friend should be adding to your life. I'm not adding from a materialistic or getting ahead standpoint. I'm talking about adding to your ideas, and helping you to want to become better.

Alright that's it for this week's edition of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'. I hope that anyone who read this post enjoyed it, and gained some meaning and understanding from it. As with all of my posts, everything mentioned applies to myself. Anything that I've written is what I attempt to apply to my own life. Whether you found it useful or not, I thank you for stopping by and taking out the time to read it. I'm going to go ahead and sign off for this time, so I hope everyone has a great weekend. See you in the next post. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment