Monday, November 28, 2011

Couch to 5k, Week 8 review.

Hey what's up everyone? It's Brad H. coming back at you again. I hope that everyone had a wonderful and grateful Thanksgiving Day. No matter what is going on in our lives, I'm sure we all have something to be thankful for. Tonight's blog post is another C25K post. If you read my last post, you know that last week was the 8th week of the program. You also know that I went out of town for Thanksgiving, and I was wondering if I would be able to find somewhere to run at while away. After all, I've come too far along on this journey to fall short now. Here is my review of week 8 of the Couch to 5k.

Week 8 of C25K had three days of the same length of runs. Like everyday of the program, it had a 5 minute warm-up walk. A 28 minute run followed, followed by a 5 minute cool down walk. Day 1 of Week 8 began for me on Wednesday morning, the day before Thanksgiving. I meant to run that Tuesday before, but I had to go get my sister from college. I was tired from the drive, not to mention it was dark by the time I made it back. Since I was leaving for Thanksgiving Wednesday, I woke up at 6:15 to run. My sister was supposed to go run with me, but she decided to sleep in. I knew that she would sell me out lol. I went to the track and put in my run. This was the first day of the program where I ran in the morning. It was another challenging run, but I was able to complete it. There was a guy out there running as well, so that gave me even more motivation. I came back home, finished packing, ate breakfast, showered up, and then got the highway with the family.

Day 2 took place on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. I was out of town for Thanksgiving for 3 days total. I knew that if I wanted to stay on track with the program, I would have to run at least one day out of the three. I asked my godmother and her husband where there any local tracks or parks. To my delight, they informed me that there was one a few miles from them. The night before I went, my godmother's husband rode with me and showed me where it was. The next morning, my sister and I went to the park he showed me the previous night. The name of the park was Veteran's Park. It's located in Ft. Worth, Texas. There were a few people out there walking, which is always encouraging. My sister did a bit of running, but she walked most of the track. The track was about a mile long in total. I got started on my 28 minute run. It was a cold morning, but the running quickly turned it hot for me. I tried to resist looking at my timer on the podcast, but with about 5 minutes left I did. The reason I don't like to look at the timer is because I feel I will slow down on purpose to make the time go faster. After 28 minutes, I was done. It was a great feeling for me to be able to run even while I'm out of town. It let me know that I am truly dedicated to this program.

The third and final day of week 8 took place yesterday evening. I left the house around 5 p.m., and got my run in. On this day I didn't look down at the timer at all. It seemed to make the run go faster also. Out of the three days of week 8, this felt like the easiest day. After finishing, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I am officially on the 9th and final week of the Couch to 5k running program. Three more days, and I will become a graduate. The final week is 30 minute runs, which means that I'll be running an extra 2 minutes. After posting my accomplishment on the Couch to 5k Facebook page, a fellow member replied saying; "Week 9 isn't much different than week 8". As much as I'm ready to be done with this program, I almost hate to see it end.

Well that's it for this post everyone. Hopefully next time I write, I will officially be a C25K graduate. I know that I'm capable, and I won't allow myself not to finish, especially after coming this far. Till next time take care everyone, and stay up and stay healthy. Peace, love and blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment