Saturday, November 25, 2017

The Importance Of Allowing Room For Correction And Growth.

Although it is nearly impossible to become an expert or master at anything that we may attempt in the beginning of whatever we're trying, most people still subscribe to the idea that we should do well at it from the start. There are numerous reasons as to why the majority of the human race may be feel this way. I think that it could mostly be a pride or an ego thing or on a more positive note, it could be that most people set the bar for themselves very high. While setting a high bar towards a goal can be a good thing, it can sometimes be a potential pitfall as well. Most of us are aware that failing at something when you have set such a high standard can lead to abandonment of that goal completely. Quitting on something shouldn't be the end goal right? The goal should be to work on something continuously until you become much better at it. Again, although progression should be the goal, many of us don't practice the habit of sticking with something till we succeed at it. Basically many of us often give up and throw in the towel way too quickly. As with the majority of things in life, there are always various ways to counteract the practice of giving up too fast, and this method that we'll be talking about is one that probably isn't too popular with those that expect to experience success early on in trying something. What I am talking about you may wonder? Simply stated, we have to leave open the door for correction and growth when it comes to anything that we're aiming to become better at.

Hey, hey what's going on my people? It is your boy Brad H. back once again, and I'd like to welcome everyone to the post Thanksgiving edition of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! I am back once again to hopefully give out some valuable jewels of information that will hopefully inspire us all to be the best versions of ourselves on a daily basis. I thank you all in advance for stopping by once again to see what is on my mind. Before going more into the topic for the week, I'd like to talk a little bit about some of the things that I'm thankful for. Being that we're a couple of days removed from Thanksgiving, I thought it would be fitting to address this. Now we're all aware that most people forget what Thanksgiving day is all about. I'm not going to go into the meaning or holiday aspect and what it represents. There are people that have various viewpoints when it comes to the meaning behind Thanksgiving, and that is totally fine. But most people see Thanksgiving as a day of food and football, and there isn't anything wrong with that either. In my opinion, Thanksgiving is a day of celebration for the things that we're thankful for in our personal lives. However, this shouldn't only be limited to Thanksgiving day in my opinion. I think it is important to give thanks on a daily basis, which is something that I try to do daily. A few of the things that I'm thankful for include; my eyes to see, my hands to write, my legs to walk and run, my mind to be able to think and overcome, and finally all of my family and friends. I try not to take any of these things for granted as I know that all of them can be gone at anytime. There are many other numerous things that I'm thankful for, but there is no way I could put them all into this post. So with all of that said, I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving day. Alright, now that we've gotten that out of the way, lets talk more about the importance of allowing room for correction and growth.

As with the normal standard that I've set on here, I'd like to go ahead and give my regular disclaimer in this section. Every single one of us have different views and ways of seeing things in this world. The objective with this topic and blog in general isn't to focus on what is right or wrong, but rather to hopefully put positive vibes out there that will encourage us all in our daily lives. Furthermore, I hope that I am able to hopefully encourage others to maybe view something in a light or manner that they may not have before. As I always mention, I am just one individual that has an opinion. I don't expect everyone to share in my views or opinions, but I do hope that there is something that can be gained from this that will be of help to someone else. I'm a firm believer that one of our missions on this planet is to help and inspire our fellow man if we are able to. As for how this topic came to be the one that I wanted to talk about, there is anything in particular that I can point to. The topic of correction and growth is just something that came to mind a few nights ago when I was thinking about what I wanted to build this week's entry upon. We're all aware that we all make mistakes and while I do believe that this is a pretty straightforward topic to address, I do believe that it is something that doesn't get enough attention. It is also something that I feel that I should have applied more when I attempted certain things in earlier stages of my life. Turning back the clock is impossible, so we must learn and apply the knowledge that we have gained to our lives today.

So as I established earlier in this entry, many of us have the idea that we're supposed to be successful the first time we attempt something. Now there is nothing wrong with having or setting goals towards wanting to accomplish something. I believe that setting goals can be a healthy thing depending on what we're setting goals towards. While having goals is both important and positive, it is also vital to have realistic goals as well. What is a realistic goal? That is totally subjective and it all depends on what your reality may be. However, I want you all to think about something. When a baby begins to try and walk, do or do they not fall many times before finally getting it down? Pretty straightforward example right? It isn't realistic to believe that a baby will get up and start walking without ever falling down. Another example; think of someone that is trying to learn how to play basketball. It isn't realistic to believe that someone trying to learn the game of basketball will go out on the court their first time and make every shot they attempt. A more realistic goal would be to make more shots the next day than the day before right? That person can be confident that they are going to make every shot, but the reality is that it likely won't happen when they're first starting out. Now when a person sets high goals for themselves in whatever it is that they're attempting, it become even more easy to become discouraged when they don't see the progress they want early on. This is why it is important to allow room for growth and correction.

From the perspective that I'm coming from, I feel that we have to learn how to treat everything that we're trying to do in life as process. I think that when we treat things as a process, we are more able to learn and fix corrections when they are needed. When we become overly consumed with doing well from the start, the likelihood of wanting to correct things becomes much lower, and the chances of becoming discouraged and wanting to quit becomes higher. Because we're not allowing room for correction and growth, we're much more likely to just give up. How many times in your life have you tried to do well at something and ended up getting rejected? If it was something that meant a lot to you and was important, you probably didn't allow the rejection to discourage you from going on. You probably used the rejection and disappointment that you experienced as fuel and motivation to do better right? The person that wants to succeed quickly without experiencing any of the potential growing pains that comes along with reaching your goals will likely take themselves out of the game after experiencing rejection. This why it is so important to allow room and correction and growth. Allowing room for these things can only help us to become better at whatever it is that we're striving for in the future. The same way we acquire knowledge throughout life as we grow as people, the same applies towards achieving personal success in your life.

So how do we learn how to allow room for correction and growth in our lives? First off, understand that you are a human-being, which means that you are flawed. A flawed person regardless of how good they are at something will always make mistakes. Understanding that we're flawed individuals helps us to know that there will always be instances where we make mistakes. Knowing this helps in allowing room and correction for growth. Secondly, learn to pace yourself in whatever it is that you're trying to do. You can't conquer the world overnight, so doing things in increments helps greatly. Furthermore, doing things in stages helps us to learn as we go, and similar to treating things as a process as I mentioned earlier, stages allows growth through the process. Think of it as on the job training; you're learning as you go. Because so many people want to experience success early and often, leaving room for correction and growth may not be desirable for many. However, as with anything else in life, patience and practice goes a long way. No matter what you're trying to do in life, remember the importance of allowing room for correction and growth. The quote that I'm going to top this topic off with comes courtesy of Myles Munroe. I think it is a good one in correlation with being open to change and growth. It reads; "Being open to correction means making ourselves vulnerable, and many people are not willing to do that."

Well we have arrived at the end of another week's topic. Thank you all once again to those of you that checked out another edition of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! As always, I hope that this topic provided some meaning and insight for all of those that came through. If you have any comments to contribute to this topic or any of the others, feel free to do so. The next time we see one another on here will be in December. The year has really flown by pretty fast. Lets try to make the final month of the year the best it can be everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to you all once again, and I hope you all have a great weekend. Take care of yourselves, and I'll see you all in the next one. Peace!

©2017 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another motivating post. No one is perfect. There's always room for improvement.
    Look at how far the world has come with mobile phones. A new one comes out, people rush for it because it's the best......until the next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Elena! You are correct, there is always room for growth and improvement. The advances in life that await us are limitless. Thank you as always for the continued support!

      Delete