Friday, January 20, 2017

It Is Perfectly Okay To Be Yourself (Not Conforming To Society's Standards).

There is a trend that I'm sure has been around for ages that I notice happening more and more on a regular basis. I'm sure many of you notice it quite a bit as well. It is something that is discussed and talked about frequently, yet regardless of how many times the downfalls of this practice are mentioned, our society still keeps it relevant. What exactly am I talking about you may wonder? I'm referring to how the world often conveys the illusion that everyone should look and act the same. No matter where you go or what you may read, there are always people putting out information on how we should be. Within our society, it seems that the only kind of male to be is an "alpha male." By society standards, for a woman to be classified as beautiful, she should be a certain size or dress a certain way. These are just a couple of examples, but I think you get where I'm going with this. People everywhere are doing all kinds of extreme things to fit into society's bubble when it comes to what is acceptable. This happens so much so that many people begin to lose themselves in the process of trying to change. Of course there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve ourselves, but should it not be happening to conform to society standards. I feel that is okay to just be yourself.

Hey, how's it going everyone? It is me Brad H. back at it once again, and welcome to another edition of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! Hope everyone has been doing well, staying up, and continuing to maintain. I also hope that 2017 has been treating you all well so far, and for those of you that make those resolutions for the new year, I hope you're sticking to them. Not a whole lot to talk about this week besides the disappointment that was the Dallas Cowboys this past weekend. Some of you may already know this, but I'm a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. Unlike many other Dallas fans that I know, I was actually a bit nervous about them playing Green Bay. Although Dallas beat Green Bay during the regular season and lost to the New York Giants twice, I just felt like it would have been harder for New York to beat the Cowboys three times. Also, we all know how well Aaron Rodgers had been playing leading up to the game. Of course the Cowboys would go on to lose, and although it was a disappointment, they have a lot to look forward towards in the future. I feel that both Ezekiel Elliot and Dak Prescott are the real deal based on how well they both played for being rookies. I'm not a Packers fan at all, but congrats to them for pulling off the victory. It was a great game overall, period. Alright, lets go ahead and get into this week's topic of not conforming to society's standards.

As I normally do before getting into the topic for the week, a person's individual viewpoints will always differ. The goal here isn't to focus too much on what is considered to be right or wrong, but rather encourage others to think about various topics differently from the norm. Of course I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and that is totally fine. Whatever thoughts and opinions others may have are welcomed here. As for how I arrived at this topic for this week, it's just something that I happen to ponder on quite a bit. I think it's a topic that many of us that probably go against the normal standards of society think about on occasion. Also, I believe regardless of who you may be, I think it is normal for all to us to feel out of place or different from everyone else. We are all indeed and unique in our own ways, but so many of us try to fit in to be accepted. This week's topic's goal is to hopefully serve as inspiration to those that maybe struggle with this to realize that it is perfectly fine to be just how are you. It is okay if you want to change certain aspects of your life in order to better yourself, however, that isn't the same as aiming to impress society.

Now getting into the topic at hand, I feel that there is a distinct difference between an individual wanting to better themselves compared to changing themselves in order to conform to others. When I personally think of a person wanting to better themselves or aiming to become more well versed in certain aspects of their lives, I think of a person that is wanting to improve to feel better about themselves first. This is something that begins from within a person, and starts with something that is emotionally compelling from my perspective. On the other hand, a person that wants to change for the sake of fitting in and impressing others is doing it for all the wrong reasons in my opinion. Now there are certain situations that may require us changing for others. For example, a couple that may have just had a child will likely want to change aspects of their lives for the sake of being the best parents they can for that child. Another example could be a man that maybe lives a reckless lifestyle, but decides he wants to change his ways to accommodate to his family or a woman he may be interested in. It is okay if you want to change for people that inspire you to change, which is something that society won't do for us most of the time.

Something else that we must keep in mind is that regardless of how much a person may want to change certain things about themselves, sometimes it may just not happen, or you may not reach society standards. And you know what? That is perfectly fine. If you are an introverted person that doesn't like to be around a lot of other people, that is a part of your personality that you can probably only change so much. You can go out and pick up books, manuals, hire coaches, etc and no matter how much you work towards becoming more extroverted, you will only improve so much if you're naturally an introvert. It's similar to doing a puzzle and trying to force a piece that doesn't fit. See, our society has created an illusion that there are certain traits and characteristics that we must possess in order to be accepted. I'm sure many of you have have of the term "alpha-male" right? By society's standards, an alpha-male is the only type of man that a man should be. You now see all kinds of guys going to all kinds of extreme measures in order to become one of these kind of men that society talks up so much, and it is honestly ridiculous. Again, if you're not hurting anyone or stepping on anyone else's toes, there is nothing wrong with just being who you are.

So for everyone out there regardless if you're male or female, it's okay to want to improve yourself, but always focus on remaining true to who you really are as a person. Every single one of us for all our flaws and shortcomings are unique in our own way, and the way that you are as a person should already be good enough. You never have to feel pressured into doing anything that you really may not want in order to impress others, nor should you have to. I realize that this is a topic that we hear about all the time, however, it seems to remain relevant despite so many people already knowing the potential pitfalls of conforming to the world. As I stated earlier, the most important thing is staying true to yourself regardless of what others may think. I'm going to end this topic by leaving a great and popular quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson. I hope that it, along with my message on this topic can serve as inspiration to anyone that battles with this. "Real men don't conform to the beliefs of others, even when society has concluded on what is good and true but maintain the integrity of their own mind."

Alright, we've reached the end of this week's topic, so it is time for me to go ahead and sign off for now. Thank you once again for everyone that tuned in to another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'. My hope is that it was able to reach someone else out there. As I stated earlier, I hope the new year has been treating everyone good so far, and hopefully you're sticking to those resolutions. It has been extremely warm here in Texas as of late, so if it is warmer in your area, try to get outdoors this weekend. Alright folks that is it for me this week, so have a great weekend everyone. Till next time, I wish you all peace, wellness, and positive thoughts.

©2017 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment