Friday, February 3, 2017

Deserve Hasn't Got Anything To Do With Life (Bad Things Just Happen Sometimes).

There was an extremely popular show that aired in the mid 2000's that I'm pretty sure that many of you are familiar with called 'The Wire'. For those of you that maybe aren't as familiar with the show, I would highly suggest giving it a look if you can. Those of you that are fans of the show will probably know where I'm going next based on the title of this week's post. There was a popular character on show named Snoop that said something in one of the episodes that I found memorable. Now I'm not going to go into the details of the scene in which she remarked the statement that I'm referring to. I don't want to spoil anything for those of you that have yet to see the show. The statement she aggressively remarked to another character on the show was "Deserve got nothing do with it." Some of you may wonder why such a short and to the point statement stands out to me so much. The reason I feel this statement carries so much weight deals with the fact that so many of us feel that we deserve the things we desire in life because we're good people, etc. I myself will admit that I've maintained this state of mind for the majority of my life, and I've come to realize how this way of thinking can be a huge hindrance to our lives. It is true that none of us are entitled to anything in life, and it is also true that regardless of how good of a person you may be, bad things just sometimes happen in life.

What's going on everyone? It's ya boy Brad H. back once again, and I'd like to welcome you all to another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! Hope everyone has been doing well, staying up, and maintaining since the last time I wrote. We have arrived at the month of February already, which means that it is time for the NFL's Super Bowl this upcoming weekend. I'm pretty sure that many of you are excited for the big game, but I'm personally not all that enthused since my Dallas Cowboys didn't make it. I'm just kidding with the Cowboys part, but in all seriousness I'm not too thrilled this year because of the two teams that are playing. I'm definitely not a Patriots fan, and I've never been a fan of the Atlanta Falcons either. Of course I will be watching the game like the majority of the world will be, but I'm kinda just like "meh" on this one. As for a prediction, I think the Patriots are going to win it. However, although I don't like either team, I will hoping that the Falcons win for a couple of reasons. One, although I'm not a Falcons fan, I do like their wide receiver Julio Jones. He is not only one of my favorite receivers, he is also one of my players in the entire league. Secondly, Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is from my hometown, and their kicker Matt Bryant along with defensive tackle Jonathon Babineaux are local guys as well. Good luck to all the local guys from the Falcons. Alright, time to get into this week's topic of bad things just happen sometimes.

As with the regular routine here, I always maintain that peoples individual viewpoints and opinions will always vary. The objective here is isn't to focus on what is considered right or wrong, but rather to hopefully encourage readers to view various topics differently than they normally would. I don't expect everyone to share in my views or beliefs, but I hope that something can be taken away from what I talk about here. For some brief insight into how this topic came about, it pretty much comes from a conversation that I recently had with a family member of mine. This particular family member was sharing with me some of their opinions on this topic, and how it applies to their life. That conversation truly struck a chord within me that inspired me to come on here and talk about this topic. As I stated earlier, I believe the belief of feeling that we are deserved certain things because of who we are is something that many of us can relate to. I see this as a pretty straight-forward topic, but I think it is one that can serve as a reminder for some of us, as well as a reality check for those that maybe struggle with this. Again, whatever your thoughts and beliefs may be, I appreciate those of you that read, and whatever thoughts and feedback you may have are welcome here.

So many of us will have moments where we get the feeling that we are owed the things we want in life right? I believe a few of the reasons we often feel this way can be attributed to the hard work that we put towards earning something, or maybe we've attempted to maintain a certain standard of living in hopes that it will pay off down the road. While I believe that no one deserves praise for exemplifying these kind of qualities, I do find them to be admirable. If you happen to be one of the people with these qualities that are of the belief that you get out of life what you put into it, then the way of thinking when it comes to the topic at hand probably applies to you. Probably the biggest thing to keep in mind when it comes to life is that it is extremely unpredictable. Life is something that is constantly changing and evolving, which means that we all are going to deal with our shares of highs and lows. Because of the volatility that life brings, there always exists the possibility that regardless of how hard you work or how good of a person you may be, you may not always get out of life that things you feel you're deserving of. This can be hard reality for many people to accept, especially those that may be accustomed to things happening for them frequently. However, it is a necessary reality that we all must occasionally face.

One thing that I think history has tried to teach us is that bad things sometimes happen to good people. There are countless accounts and stories out there of tragic and unfortunate events happening to people that didn't do anything to deserve those things. Sometimes people just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, or maybe they were victims of circumstances that someone else may have been facing. Whatever the case may be, it doesn't matter who you are or what you've done in your life, bad things can happen to anyone at anytime. This is why in my opinion that I feel that it is important to try and throw out that whole "I deserve" mentality. There is nothing wrong with wanting or expecting things to happen your way, but having the mentality of thinking that you deserve or are entitled to certain things will always leave you disappointed. Saying all of that doesn't mean that I'm saying that we should be bad people. Of course we should strive to be the best version of ourselves that we can be. I'm simply saying that we should never rely on being good people as a means of thinking we're deserved things. Focus on trying to be the best person you can be, but never count on that for receiving good fortunes in your life.

So if you're one of those people that feels you're deserving of things, I encourage you to try and see things a little bit differently. Again, I'm not trying to discourage anyone or be negative with this topic; I'm just saying that in reality, bad things can and will always occur in our lives. But for all the bad that is in the world, there is always good that is going to come as well. I think that it's importance to appreciate any breaks that we may receive along this journey of life. However, see them for what they are and enjoy them when they come, because they can be far and few in between. I always try to leave a quote that I feel coincides with these topics before I end these posts. This is the one that I found for this topic that I feel resonates deeply with what I'm trying to express. The quote comes courtesy of Dennis Wholely and goes: "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the Lion not to attack you because you area vegetarian." We should all know by now that life is not always fair; we just have to learn how to live with that.

Well that's it for this week's topic folks! I'm going to go ahead and sign off for now, but thank you once again for all that stopped by to read another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'. As always, I hope that there was some meaning and understanding gained from this, and I really hope that some of you out there can feel where I'm coming from with this. Hope 2017 has been treating you all well so far, and I hope everyone enjoys the big game this weekend. I'll be back soon, so until that time comes, I hope everyone stays safe. Have a great weekend everyone, and I wish you all peace, wellness, and positive thoughts.

©2017 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment