Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rest In Peace to Troy Davis.

Hello once again. Tonight I'm kinda upset and frustrated. As many of you may know, Troy Davis has been executed in the state of Georgia. Davis was convicted for the 1989 killing of off duty policeman Mark Macphail. Davis was convicted and sentenced to death in 1991. All this time Davis has claimed that he was innocent. I personally wasn't too interested in this story until recently. A Facebook friend of mine posted a petition related to the upcoming execution on his wall. I went through and read the petition, and came to the conclusion that Mr. Davis most likely was innocent. I also started reading and seeing in the news that 7 out of 9 witnesses changed their statements regarding the conviction. I was watching the news earlier, and a young lady was on CNN stating that someone else confessed to the killing.

The way I see it, the only way a person is truly guilty is if there is beyond reasonable doubt that they are guilty. In my opinion with all the new information that came up regarding this case, it should have been looked into more. From what I understand Troy Davis was willing to take a polygraph test, and they wouldn't let him. The United States Supreme court denied Davis's final plea earlier tonight, and the execution was carried out around. Davis was pronounced dead at 11:08 P.M. Of course I didn't know Troy Davis personally, but I'm not for anyone who may be innocent spending the rest of their life in prison, or facing the death penalty. Today just proved again that the justice system in the United States is flawed. I saw CNN analyst Roland Martin mention that people shouldn't complain about having to serve on jury duty. I will admit that I'm not a fan of jury duty, but from here on I will not complain about serving in the future.

I want to say that my prayers and thoughts are with Troy Davis and his family. May his soul rest in peace. Also today Russell Brewer was executed here in Texas for the 1998 killing of James Byrd Jr. Some of you may know, but I'm from the city where all of this occurred in 1998. My thoughts and prayers are with the Byrd family as well. Well I'm ending this post for tonight. Everyone stay up, maintain, and keep fighting the good fight. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you, generally! Of course, I'm not in favor of the death penalty under any circumstance, but it seems to me that if we're talking life in prison or death, then guilt should be decided not "beyond reasonable doubt" but rather "beyond any doubt whatsoever!" And that's because you can't bring a man back to life after he's been executed.

    ReplyDelete