Saturday, February 2, 2019

The Danger Of Projecting Your Fears Onto Others.

Being fearful of someone, something, or even a combination of the two is something that most of us don't like to acknowledge. Why is this the case I wonder? I believe that the world that we live in seems to associate the word "fear" along with something that is negative. There appears to be a stigma that we as people should never show or display fear, and if you happen to do so, you are labeled as a weak individual. Now this isn't my personal thought when it comes to be fearful. I'm just giving my own interpretation on what I believe this world thinks of fear. Now if we're going to be totally honest here, I think most of us can admit to being fearful at times. We're not robots, we're human-beings, so it is highly unrealistic to believe that no human never experiences fear. Like many other people that may have an opinion on the subject of fear, I believe that being fearful at times is both a normal and a good thing. I personally believe that most people will admit that they often rise the occasion most whenever they face something that they're afraid of head on. This is something that I can personally admit to based on previous experiences. However, I think we can also admit that there are some people in this world that have fears that they're afraid to face. Though I may personally see the thought of a person not being willing to face their fears, I can't knock anyone that may not be willing to do so. As I have stated many, many times on this blog, we all have various outlooks and ways we live our lives. If a person isn't willing to face their own fears and attempt to have change in their life, that is all on them. However, something that I do see as a potential danger when it comes to people not facing their fears is the idea of projecting those fears onto other people.

Yo, what is up people? This is Brad H. back at it once again, and I'd like to welcome you all to another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! A big welcome goes to anyone that is a first time visitor, and a big thanks goes to those that are frequent readers here. I'm going to go right ahead and jump into the soapbox by talking about something that many people from all over the world will be tuning into this week. Yep, that's right you guessed it, the Super Bowl. Like most people, I will be watching the game this weekend, but I probably won't be as engaged as I normally would. My reason for this comes from the fact that I don't care for either of the two teams that are playing. Anyone that knows me well is aware that I have never liked the New England Patriots. As for the Los Angeles Rams, I never had anything against them, but I didn't like how some of their players have been mouthing off during the playoffs. Also, though it was through no fault of their own, I don't feel like their victory over the New Orleans Saints two weeks ago was a legitimate one. I'm not a Saints fan either, but any and everyone watching that game knows that the refs blew the blatant pass interference called against the Rams that could have likely sent the Saints to the Super Bowl. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I actually felt bad for fan of the Saints. Hopefully the NFL does something in the off season that can remedy these kind of things. Now for who I believe is going to win the big game this weekend, I'm predicting that New England will win the game. It is extremely difficult for me to imagine New England losing two straight Super Bowls. I believe that their coach Bill Belichick is going to have a game plan that neutralizes the Rams offense. I could be wrong in saying that. I mean I didn't think that the Philadelphia Eagles would beat them last year, but that is exactly what happened. I still believe New England wins, but we all know how unpredictable sports, particularly football can be. The Rams and Saints game is a prime example of that. Anyway, I hope those of you that are looking forward to the game enjoys. Alright, now that I've gotten on my soapbox, lets go ahead and move onto this week's topic of projecting your fears onto others.

Now when thinking of a subject such as projecting your fears onto other people, what exactly is meant by this? I'm sure that everyone will have their own spill on what they believe this to be. I've already mentioned on multiples occasions on there that there is no one single way to view anything. Speaking for myself and my own personal experiences, I view this topic as when a person that is afraid of something themselves intentionally or unintentionally cast doubts and suspicions in the mind of another person. Now if you noticed, I mentioned that this can happen both intentionally and unintentionally. Some people may not even be aware that they're projecting their own fears onto other people. For the sake of the point that I'm attempting to make, I want to focus more on the people that do it intentionally. I have to tread lightly with what I'm going to say next, because I believe most people that may do this intentionally often mean well, they just may not know how damaging what they're saying can be. Many people that project their own fears onto others often do it out of care and love for other people. Now some of you may be wondering how exactly can you care for someone, yet you're projecting your fears onto them? I mean making another person fearful doesn't quite equate to caring for them right? Well in the context that we're dealing with, it depends on how the people that are in this situation are able to handle what is being said. For example, not everyone gets scared in the same manner, nor are we afraid of the same things. What may scare or make me fearful may not apply to another person. Projecting your fears on other people go a lot deeper than just scaring someone else. This is something that is psychological in the sense that it plays more to the mind than anything else.

Now I know that I've probably said a lot already, but hopefully you all will be able to see where I am going with this with the example that I'm going to bring up. I know this is something that I have touched on previously on here. How many of you know or are close with someone that don't like seeing other people that they're close with attempt something that they never have themselves? So lets hypothetically say that you want to attempt to go skydiving, and you have a friend that says you shouldn't do that because it is dangerous. Now I've never been skydiving, but I think we can all admit that regardless of whether you've ever done it or not that there is some risk to it. Now the friend that doesn't want you to attempt skydiving has concerns because they care about you; an admirable thing. However, are they really allowing you to live your life if they're discouraging you from doing something that you want? Is it possible that their concerns can create doubt within your mind to the point where you become fearful of even attempting what you want? See what I mean now by the danger of projecting your fears onto others? We have a situation where two people have never attempted something, yet one of them whether intentionally or unintentionally discourages the other from even attempting. This is something that happens all too much in my opinion, and it causes many people to potentially miss out on new things and experiences. Again, much of the potential fear that stems from this is out of care and concern, but it can still be damaging to the other person life. This is why I personally believe that you should always encourage other people whenever they present you with something they want to do.

Now in saying all of this, I'm not saying that you shouldn't never voice concern or care whenever someone you love wants to attempt something. From my perspective, I believe it is important to find a healthy balance of giving them their freedom, and knowing when to interject. Now if you're in a situation where you have previous hands on experience with something that someone wants to attempt, voicing your opinion will likely carry more weight because you have that experience. The crowd that I'm primarily referring to is the crowd that are afraid of trying something themselves, so they don't want to see you do it either. If you are a person that has these traits, I admire you for being concerned about others. However, if you look deep within yourself, can you honestly say that you have another person's best interest at heart if you're discouraging them from experiencing things? When you really think about it, you are likely looking out more for your own self-interests, and you never want to project that onto someone that you love. Be as supportive as you possibly can in these type of situations. Try not to create doubts and fears in the minds of others if they want to do something for their own life. I'm sure that there are many people in this world that live with regret because they listened to what other people said instead of following their own mind. I'm also certain that many of these people probably harbor negative feelings towards some of the people that tried to attempt them from spreading their wings a bit. The main thing that I hope the readers can take from this is to always show concern and care, but also allow other people to live.

Well I think that about sums up this topic. I think I pretty much got everything that I planned on discussing out there, so I'm going to go ahead and sign off for now. Thank you for those of you that stopped by for another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! I sincerely appreciate all of you and your encouragement to keep on bringing up these topics. As always, I hope that there was some meaning and understanding that could be gained from this. If you found this inspirational or helpful, please feel free to leave any feedback below. You can also follow me or hit me up on Twitter at the handle @BradrickH. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend, as well as the big game tomorrow if you're looking forward to it. I also hope that those of you up north and on the east coast, as well as the Midwest stay warm. I know it has been brutal up there, so I hope you all stay safe. I'll see you all in the next one. Peace!

©2019 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment