Saturday, January 6, 2018

Look For Better Ways To Handle The Issues In Your Life.

Something that people that know or follow me on here probably notice is that I frequently draw a lot of references from movies and television shows when I'm hoping to get a point across. Besides finding personal enjoyment from various shows and movies, I'm not really sure why I do this so often. I bring this up because I'm about to reference to something in a film from a few years back in order to establish a point. Aside from the tragic shooting that took place in Colorado on the opening night of the film that I'm referring to, some of you probably remember the movie "The Dark Knight Rises" from the summer of 2012. There's a scene where Alfred Pennyworth tells an older and broken Bruce Wayne that he isn't Batman anymore, and that he has to find another way to make an impact besides sacrificing his body. The reason why I bring this up is because we all have habits and vices that we engage in that aren't necessarily good for us, and many of us find ourselves relying on these habits whenever issues arise in our lives. Whether this applies to you personally, or if you know someone that frequently rely on their vices to cope whenever things aren't going so well, this probably sounds pretty familiar to most of you. We all know that no one is perfect, and conquering bad habits in our lives isn't an feat. However, what Alfred said to Wayne in the film that I'm using as a reference is the message that I'm bringing to you all this week. We have to look for better ways to handle the issues that we're facing.

Yo! What is up everyone? It is your boy Brad H. back once more, and I'd like to welcome everyone to another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! I am here once again to hopefully spread some inspiration that can help us all be inspired to be the best versions of ourselves. We have made it to 2018 folks, and this is the first post for this new year. I'd like to start off by wishing everyone a Happy New Year, and I hope that 2018 has been treating you all well so far. As I mentioned in the previous topic that I wrote about, the year 2017 wasn't the best year for me, and I know several others that share in my sentiments on this when it came to their lives. The last couple of weeks of 2017 added to an already extremely challenging year due to the passing of my great uncle. I'm certain that many of you that have lost friends and relatives during the holidays know how much of a challenge it can be to cope with. I'm not one for new years resolutions and things of that nature much anymore, however, I want to encourage everyone (including myself) to try and find happiness in every single day for this year. I'm not saying that we have to be happy all the time, or that we have to front being happy when we're really not. I'm just saying that if you can find at least one thing daily to be happy and grateful for, then you are on the right track towards becoming a happier person. Not saying that this method will work or anything like that, just giving my opinion. So again I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year, and lets try and leave the negativity that happened last year behind. Alright, now that I've gotten all of that out of the way, it's time to get into this week's topic of looking for better ways to handle the issues in our lives.

Before I get into this week's talking point, I'd like to go ahead and say that we all have different viewpoints on life. I say that to say that I don't expect everyone to agree with what I'm addressing in this, or any of the other topics that I talk about. The main objective here isn't to alter or change anyone else's beliefs, but rather to hopefully encourage us all to think about things in ways we may not have before. One of the absolute beautiful things about life that I love is how you can talk to another person, and walk away from that talk thinking about things in a way that you never had before. It's a great thing when you're able to learn from others in my opinion. My hope is that I can give some insight that can maybe encourage others to walk away feeling that they learned something that they never thought of before. If that isn't the case for some, that is totally fine. I always say that I'm just one person with an opinion, but I still appreciate those of you that are interested in what I have to say. This particular topic is one that crossed my mind a couple of weeks back. Not really sure how it came to mind, but I thought it would be a good talking point for a post. Also, I think that thinking about The Dark Knight Rises movie probably helped contribute to my wanting to talk about finding other ways to deal with our issues. This particular issue is one that I'm sure that I've addressed in a previous topic, but I figured that tying in what Alfred said to Bruce in the film helps give it an alternate perspective.

Now that we've established that in the film that we're using as a reference for this week, Alfred was referring to Wayne sacrificing his body, and that he needed to find another way to make an impact besides the physicality of being Batman. What I want to tie all this into is how many of us channel a lot of the negative things that happen in our lives to things that are hurtful to us in the long run. If we're being honest with ourselves, most of us know that we turn to our vices whenever we're depressed, stressed out, etc. Now in saying this, having a vice or vices isn't to be judged or looked down upon. It's in our nature to want to turn to the things that make us feel good when we're uncomfortable. I want to be sure and establish that, because a lot of people that are imperfect and have vices of their own often look down on others for their vices. I don't agree with this at all, and honestly one habit or vice isn't any better than another. Regardless of what the vice is or may be, they all can be detrimental to us if not stopped or controlled. This is where the problem lies, and the reasoning for why I feel that we should look for better ways to handle the issues that occur in our lives. When we make the choice to go to or do something that isn't good for us because we're in a turmoil, not only are we not facing the issues head on, we're self-medicating ourselves in a manner that can be hurtful in the long run. Many of us don't see the habits in our lives as overly bad things, but years upon years of doing something regardless of how minute you may thing it is adds up, and can have negative impact on our lives.

So now I want to get into some of the habits and vices that I'm thinking about as I'm writing this. We're all aware of the ones that many of us consider to be the worse of the worse. These include habits such as drug use, alcohol, self-harm, etc. Now although they are probably considered to be the more dangerous habits, there are others that we have that tend to get overlooked, yet they can have a negative impact in the long run. What are some of the things we're talking about here you may ask? Things like over-eating, video games, and social media can also be classified as addictions if they're overdone. Sure they may not have the same effect as drug use, etc, but years upon years of engaging in these lesser degree acts during times of turmoil can have the same negative effect on our lives. So for an example here, we're going to use the idea of over-eating. I'm sure most of you have heard of binge eating right? How many occasions can you point to where have you have maybe found yourself eating when you find yourself stressed out? If you have never done this, then you probably know someone who has engaged in this act when they were having problems. We of course know that over-eating doesn't do anything but add more pounds to our bodies, which in turn can lead to health problems. Sure it may not affect you immediately, but the long term effects can be hurtful to your quality of life. This is just one example, but I'm sure many of you get the gist of what I'm saying here. Regardless of how small it may seem, anything that you turn to or overdo in time of turmoil can be classified as an addiction.

So how do we overcome these addictions in our lives? Well it depends a lot on you and what you struggle with when you are having issues. However, I have a few things to think about that may help. First, I think it is important to identify anything in your life that can be seen as an addiction. For example, whenever you find yourself stressed or depressed, try and pay attention to the things that you do or don't do afterwards. Secondly, think about whether or not what you're doing is helping or hurting you. Is it really wise or good for you to binge eat because you're having issues? Finally, and the most important part of this post, look for something else (preferably something more positive) to replace that habit. So instead of eating because you're sad or depressed, go talk a walk or go for a run. These are things that can only help you out health wise in the long run, and they can make you feel good about yourself as well. These are just a few examples, but do whatever works for you. As I mention all the time, we're all different and have different ways of viewing things. This also means that the way we choose do things is going to vary from person to person as well. The most important point that I want to get across is to look for other ways that are more positive to deal with your problems. We're all human and fall short, but acknowledging, learning and applying new techniques and strategies can go a long way towards handling our problems better. So lets take Alfred's advice, and lets find other ways to combat the problems in our lives.

Well we have arrived at the end of another topic folks. It is time to depart for now, but thank you all once again for stopping by for another one of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! As always, I hope that there was some meaning and understanding that could be gained from this, as well as the other topics I address. If you have any comments or feedback on this, feel free to drop those in the comments. You can also follow me on Twitter @BradrickH if you'd like. Well 2018 is upon us folks, so lets try and make this year a good one. All the hardships of 2017 are behind us, so lets be laser focused and positive for this new year. I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year again, and I hope you all have a great weekend, as well as a great week ahead. Take care everybody, and I'll see you all in the next one. Peace!

©2018 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment