Friday, October 11, 2019

The Importance Of Working Daily To Keep Your Mind On An Even Keel.

I'm not entirely certain if I've brought this up in a previous topic on this platform before, but there's a song off an album titled "Lead Poison" that was released in 2016 by one of my favorite emcees named Elzhi called "The Healing Process." It was one of the best albums that I heard during that year. Not that what I just said had much to do with this week's topic, but I just thought I'd throw that little tidbit in there. However, there is something that Elzhi said in this great song that does have a level of correlation to what I'm addressing this week. There's a lyric in that song that goes; "You gotta keep your thoughts left, your mind right." Now I'm not going to act as if I knew exactly what he meant when he talked about your thoughts being left. Being that Elzhi is one of the most lyrical emcees that I've heard, there could be various meanings to what he meant. What I do believe to have a general understanding of is what he is referring to when he speaks of keeping your mind right. My interpretation of keeping your mind right means being able to keep your thoughts in check. You don't allow your thoughts to drift too far one way or the other, and you don't allow your thoughts to overtake you. Now some would think that this is an easy feat to accomplish right? Though that may be the reality for some, it is definitely not always the case for most people. This is especially true with the world that we're living in now where we have some much coming at us on a daily basis. Just as someone that wants to remain healthy and fit have to work their body on a daily basis, it is also of importance for us to work daily to keep our minds on an even keel.

What's going on everyone? It's Brad H. back on the scene once again, and I'd like to welcome you all to another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! I am here once again to bring my perspective on another topic that will hopefully help serve as some inspiration for us all. Glad to have those of you that are reading here once again. I really don't have a specific topic of interest that I want to address in this week's soapbox section, but I wanted to bring up something that I've been thinking about recently. How often do you express gratitude for all of the people that are in your life? Are you a person that often thinks of how your life would be if the people that you're close to where no longer here? I bring this up because I think many of us have been so accustomed to how life is. We often forget that everything that is happening in our lives is only temporary, and eventually it ends. This means that through the process of life that a good portion of the people that are in our lives will be gone someday. I'm not bringing this up to scare anyone, and I know that thinking about things of this nature can be depressing. However, sometimes topics such as this can serve as a reminder to appreciate the people in your life. Instead of us being comfortable with knowing that they're here, we should give more gratitude for having them in our lives. If you have a friend or relative that you haven't spoken with recently, pick up the phone and give them a call just to tell them you appreciate them. Little things like a phone call can go a long way towards letting people know that you care for and appreciate them. I just wanted to get that out there, because I know we tend to forget about these kinds of things. Also, if you're someone that already expresses gratitude for the people in your life, kudos to you. Alright, now that I've gotten that out of the way, lets go on and talk more about the important of working daily to keep our minds on an even keel.

As with pretty much any topic that has some variance due to the fact that we all process things in different ways, a topic such as keeping your mind right can be viewed in numerous ways. I think this is an important subject of interest because there are many people in this world that are struggling mentally. Being that this world we live in is in the shape that it is in due to so many factors, keeping ours minds on the straight and narrow can be a difficult task. Despite the difficulties that we face in this world, there is always hope for us when it comes to conquering our minds. Now one of the things that I have talked about on many occasions through my posts is how so many consume what I would deem as an unnatural amount of information daily. Most people these days spend a good chunk of their day on their devices engaging social media and watching television. Due to the fact that these forms of entertainment bring so much information, our brains tend to be hyperactive when it comes to processing all these things. I believe this is the main reason why so many of us are so scatterbrain when it comes to remembering things. Our minds are overloaded with so much stimuli that it becomes difficult for us to properly concentrate on one thing. Basically we're doing too much when it comes to taking in information, and we all know that too much of anything can be bad for us. Now from my perspective, this is a big reason as to why our thoughts are all over the place. Also from my perspective, our thoughts being all over the place is the breeding ground for our minds often not being right.

There are a lot of things in this life that we have little to no control over. Some people feel that our thoughts are something that cannot be controlled. Now I will agree that thought in and of itself is something that we can't contain. Thinking is just a natural part of life, and it's something that we are constantly doing. In order for me to even write this I have to be thinking. However, the content of the things we think about is something that I feel we can get a hold on. From my perspective, much of what we give thought to stems from the things we give our attention to. The things that we read, watch and listen to are the very things that we will often find ourselves thinking of. For example, I'll give you a memory from my childhood that had effected me. When I was a kid, I could recall watching a movie that terrified me one night. So after watching this movie, I got in the bed to sleep, and the images from the film I'm referring to were all in my mind. I thought about them so much that I couldn't sleep, and the next thing I know I'm running out of my room to get in the bed with my mom because I was so scared. Truth be told I have no business even watching a film of that nature at my age back then, but that is beside the point. The important point is that watching that film before I went to bed was in my thoughts, which in my opinion ultimately had a negative effect on me. Beyond just that example, there are more sinister ways that we as people can fall victims to our minds. Some of these things can include things such as drug use, sex addiction, and severe mood disorders. There's more that could be mentioned, but I think most of you can agree that failure to keep our minds on an even keel can lead to bad habits.

I think we've pretty much laid out the importance of why it is vitally important to work daily to keep our minds stable. From my perspective, a mind that isn't stable is a vulnerable mind. You don't want to go through this world having a weak mind that subjugates you to toxic habits. Though controlling your thoughts and your mind can be difficult, it is very important to work at this daily. This means filling our lives up with as much positive energy and good vibes that we can. It means limiting or completely cutting out vices that can open the doorway to our minds potentially being corrupted. We all know that life comes at us fast, and coping in the society we're in isn't always easy. We have to aim to be a tempered and even keel as we possibly can be in order to make it through those challenging moments. Finally, I believe that our minds are probably the most important thing that we have. The mind plays a huge factor in not only the way that we think, but also how our bodies operate. You can't have a healthy body and healthy state of being if your mind isn't right. I view it all like it's a link in a chain; if one link goes missing, the entire chain becomes compromised. Because I believe that our minds are the most important thing that we have, I also believe that if you lose your mind, there is often no recovering from it. Think of the hard drive for a computer. If the hard drive goes bad, the entire computer will not work. Please do whatever you must to keep your mind right like Elzhi mentioned in the song I referred to earlier. Work at it daily, and cherish working towards having a sound mind. It's the key to living a more tempered life, and being able to maintain yourself on a daily basis. Stay tempered, and stay even keeled everyone!

That pretty much is all that I got for you all this week. I hope that this was able to serve as inspiration for some of you out there. Thank you once again for those of you that stopped by for another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! If you have any comments or concerns, feel free to do so in the comment section. You can also connect with me on Twitter @BradrickH. Before I go, man I cannot express how excited I am right now! It's like 53 degrees outside right now. This is the coldest day that we've had here in southeast Texas so far this year. I know those of you that are further up north probably don't feel like I do, but after dealing with crazy hot temps all during the summer, I welcome the colder weather. So yea, I'm all smiles right now, and I hope you all are too regardless of how the weather is where you are. Alright, I'll see you all on the next topic. Have a great weekend, and an even better week ahead. Peace out!

©2019 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment