Friday, April 15, 2016

Reaching A Goal Is Only The Beginning (Recommitting to a Goal).

For many people in our society, the reaching of a goal that we may have been striving for often signals a finale. After all the time and effort that is exerted towards obtaining a particular goal, we often view the achievement as a curtain call; a way for us to take a bow and bask in the glory that comes along with the success. While some goals that may be reached are maybe a one and done type of scenario, there are others that require a consistent level of effort to maintain. Goals of this nature will probably feel like an ongoing process, and in actuality, that is exactly what they are. This truth isn't meant to discourage anyone, nor is it meant to invalidate any goals that you may achieve. However, many of us get to a goal that we've been working at, and then spend too much time tooting our own horn. Many of us fail to realize that the same effort that goes into reaching a goal takes the same effort required to maintain the fruits of it. Sometimes, reaching a goal is only the beginning.

Hey, what's going on ladies and gentlemen? It's me the everyday average guy Brad H. coming at you all once again, and welcome to another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'. I hope that this reaches whomever that is reading it in good health and spirits, as well as in a sound and stable state of mind. Not much has been going on with me since the last time I touched base. We're officially at the halfway point of the month of April, which means that depending on wherever you're located, we're in the middle of the spring season. I've been enjoying the weather that we've been getting in my area as of late. It's been warm enough to get outside and be active, but cool enough to not feel like it's smoldering heat where you can't enjoy yourself. I'm going to enjoy the spring as much as possible, because I know that summer is right around the corner unfortunately. Yes I indeed said unfortunately, because I don't care for the summer heat much at all anymore. Anyway, regardless of what the weather is like wherever you are, I hope that you all are having a great month of April so far. Now that I've gotten all of that out of the way, lets go ahead and get into this week's topic.

Before going any further with this post, I want to be sure and state that a person's individual viewpoint on a topic will always vary. My goal here isn't to focus on what may be right or wrong, but rather to give whomever that is reading this something to maybe think about and reevaluate more in depth. The mission is strictly for me to use this platform as a way to express my ideas and opinions. If anyone happens to feel differently or disagree with my views, that is totally fine. So as I mentioned earlier, this week's topic will deal with recommitting to a goal that has maybe already been met. Some of you may wonder what brought me to write about this topic. Well, for those of you that maybe follow this blog a little more closely than others, you may have noticed that the previous post before this one dealt with goals and failures. I realize that the summer months are likely approaching for many of you, and that normally is the time when a lot of people begin to set certain goals for themselves. The last post I wrote was meant to inspire people that faced setbacks while working towards a goal. This week's topic is meant to inspire those people that have maybe reached a goal, but need to be reminded that sometimes the reaching of a goal is only the beginning.

As I stated earlier, it's normal to feel a sense of accomplishment with reaching a goal that you've been working towards. However, many of us develop a certain sense of complacency after hitting that target goal. Ever heard that saying that goes; "Success is a full time job?" Well, that same sentiment applies when it comes to various goals that are reached. See, in order to maintain certain goals that we have reached, a certain degree of recommitting is required. Otherwise, all the work and progress that you put in towards reaching that goal will likely become undone. Some of you may be aware that I often talk about the power of the mind in my posts. Well, once again, the mind plays a powerful role in being able to recommit to a specific goal. The power of having a strong mind is limitless, and it's in our best interest to work on building our minds to combat the complacency that sometimes develops with reaching a goal. Some of you may be wondering what are the kind of goals that may require a level of recommitting to? Well, one of the biggest is one that a lot of us are aware of and unfortunately, it's also one that many people fall back into old habits with.

I think that we can all agree that one of the biggest goals that many people have is to lose weight and get healthier. Well, there are many times when person may begin to reach some of those health related goals, and then find themselves becoming complacent with what they've achieved. If you're not careful with your lifestyle, you may look around and find yourself falling back into some of the same habits that you had once before, which in turn can lead to all the progress you've made towards the goal you've reached being undone. That's not what we should be striving for. See, certain goals in life shouldn't be just for a season. Sometimes, in order to live a better life style and quality of life, the goals that we reach have to be lifestyle changes. A lifestyle change is a change that shouldn't yo-yo up and down to the point where it creates inconsistency in our lives. A lifestyle change is one that requires us to draw a line in the sand and say to ourselves, "No more!" It doesn't just apply to health, but anything in life that requires time and effort to reach. The same dedication that you put in towards reaching a goal is the same dedication that is required to maintain it.

Now I'm in no way saying that we shouldn't be proud of ourselves when we reach our goals. Always continue to be proud of yourself when reaching a goal, and give yourself the proper credit for a job well done. There is a certain amount of discipline that we must hone in order to reach our goals right? Well, after reaching a specific goal, we should be looking for the next stage of discipline to conquer and work towards. From my perspective, I view goals as being stepping stones into better things. Think of life as if were a staircase, and each goal reached is a step on the staircase. In order for us to keep on advancing and moving forward, we have to look for the next stage of discipline that is required to keep on advancing. This can be a very difficult task at times, and I myself have struggled with this. However, despite the degree of difficulty that may come, it's definitely something that can be obtained with a strong mind. So to all my friends out there, remember that reaching a goal is sometimes only the beginning. Learn to use those achievements as a spearhead towards better things, and don't be afraid to recommit to your goals.

Alright folks, I believe that I got the point that I was trying to make across, so I'm going to bring this post to an end. Big thanks and shout outs go to everyone that stopped by for another edition of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'. As I always like to say before I end, the hope is that some meaning and understanding was gained from this post. Even if that's not the case for you, I still appreciate those of you that stopped by. I hope you all enjoy the rest of the week, and I'll see you all in the next post. My name is Brad H., and I wish you all peace and positive thoughts. Till next time my friends!

©2016 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment