Saturday, May 1, 2021

The Importance Of Addressing Trauma From Our Past.


"Trauma" is a word that many of us are familiar with when it comes to hearing about the way that it affects people lives. We often hear about it on various news platforms, and we sometimes may hear the people that we're close to talk about it. Though trauma is something we often hear about when it comes to people and their lives, the true meaning of trauma is probably unknown to most of us. Trauma is simply defined as an event or experience that is deeply distressing. This basically means that in the grand scheme of life that trauma is something that we will all expedience at various points of our lives. The longer that a person lives, the more there is the opportunity for traumatic events to happen. Also, while trauma is something that we can experience at any point of our lives, I believe that the traumas we endure from the youthful times of our lives have the greatest affect on us. This is just my personal opinion, and I am in no way implying that trauma from later on in our lives isn't valid. My reasoning for stating that previous experiences of trauma play such a role is theme of this week's topic. This is why I will be getting into why I believe it is of importance for us to address the trauma from our pasts. 


Peace and blessings everyone! This is your boy Brad H. back again to bring you all another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! I am here to discuss a topic that will hopefully be beneficial towards us both moving forward, as well as staying inspired in our lives. I hope that you all have been doing well since the last topic. So for my soapbox this week, I want to briefly give my opinion on the Mortal Kombat movie that was released last week. Now I am personally a big fan of the Mortal Kombat franchise. I played all the games up until Mortal Kombat 4, and I have watched all of the various series that have aired over the years. I love the movie from 95, and though the second film from 97 wasn't good at all, I still enjoyed it when I was younger. After waiting over 20 years for another Mortal Kombat film, I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this reboot. The first 10 minutes or so were great, but most of it fell flat for me after that. I won't go into details for anyone that hasn't seen it, but I thought that making a character that wasn't from the game the main character was a mistake. There were a few good moments, and there were a couple of characters that were well done. However, just overall it was a letdown for me. I've seen that most of the reviews have been mixed, so we'll have to see what a sequel will be like if and when it happens. Well that is my soapbox for this week, so lets go ahead and get into the importance of address past trauma. 


Now I began this topic by giving a general definition and overview of what the word trauma means from the context in which I will be discussing for this topic. Trauma can mean different things for different people, so it is important for everyone to personally define what trauma means to them. Also, I want to let it be known that all trauma isn't the same when it comes to us being individuals. The trauma or traumas that I have experienced throughout my life may not be the same as another person. It is always wise to recognize the differences that are our life experiences. We have to avoid getting caught up in comparing our experiences to others. The goal that I have here isn't to necessarily focus on any specific type of trauma, but rather why I feel that it is important for us to make an attempt to address these things. Taking the step of addressing trauma is one that isn't always an easy first step. To be quite honest, I believe that most people are not willing to do it. Again, much of this depends on the degree of, as well as what type of trauma that a person has experienced. 


One of the main traits that I've noticed from people that even compelled me to bring this topic up is how the avoidance of the darker aspects of ourselves is so prevalent in our society. Of course this doesn't apply to all people, but we as a society have more of a tendency to avoid addressing traumatic things from our pasts. We would rather not bring up or address certain things that could possibly be crippling our growth in not only life, but also within our relationships. Now I believe it is totally understandable to not have to a desire to address certain types of trauma. As I stated earlier, there are different degrees to certain things. However, from my own perspective, not addressing things from your past is a bad idea if it isn't adding to your peace. This also applies when it comes to family affairs that stem from past events. I don't need to go into extensive detail when I speak on these things, but we all have families and our share of experiences from the past that involve family members that we'd like to forget. Now a person can claim that they have moved on from certain traumatic events, but has a person truly moved on if those events are creating tension in our present day life? From my perspective, the answer to that question for me would be a hard no. 


We have all seen television shows and movies where people talk about how their past has come back to haunt them. If it's not being heard on television or being read in a book, it is probably an occasion where we ourselves are saying it. Often times we get fortunate enough when certain things that happen in our past are easily put behind us. However, there are going to be occasions when events from our past come back to haunt us. It is for this reason why I believe that it is of importance for us to address the traumas that occur from our pasts. As I brought up earlier, most people nowadays would rather not address things because it forces a person to be vulnerable. This can be very difficult for many in today's society, but what is even more difficult is stunting your growth as a person because you would rather not face the aspects of yourself that could be hindering you. This can entail a variety of things from growing as an individual, or growing in your relationships with others. Now if you're a person that doesn't care about potentially bettering yourself, then by all means you have the option to ignore things from your past that are affecting you know. However, if you are someone that wants to move forward and progress in multiples areas of your life, taking a hard look at yourself and facing your past traumas is the way to go. That's pretty much my perspective on it!


Well that about does it for this round folks! This has been another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective' brought to you by Brad H. I hope that I was able to present this post in a way that was easy to relate to. I also hope that those of you that have read this far found some sort of value from this. As always if any of you would like to leave any comments or feedback, please do so in the comment box. If you are on Twitter and would like to connect with me, you can follow me @BradrickH. Thank you to those of you that read and have shown support to me throughout the years. I truly appreciate you all! I hope you all have a great rest of your weekend, and I'll see you all on the next topic! Peace and blessings!


©2021 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment