Saturday, June 8, 2019

Stress Is A Part Of Life, But It Shouldn’t Dominate Your Life.

There are a host of feelings and emotions that we as people will experience throughout our lives. With these feelings and emotions that we all will experience for our duration of living comes degrees and variances. One of the more prominent emotions, or feelings if a person wants to classify it as such that most of us deal with occasionally is the idea of being stressed. I mean we’ve all had a friend or family member tell us about something they’re dealing with, and they likely mouthed those three words: “I’m stressed out!” If we’re not in situations where we’re lending an ear to the stresses of life that others may be facing, it is probably ourselves dealing with our own stresses. Now I’m of the belief that while stress isn’t something that is necessary good for our lives, it can actually be a benefit to our lives when it is put into the proper context. Trust me, that way of thinking is something that I haven’t always subscribed to. I’ll get into why I developed this feeling this later as I navigate this topic. Now in bringing up the idea that stress can be beneficial in our lives, I’m in no way implying that stress is something that we should want in our lives. By in large stress is something that we should want to come and go right? More importantly, I think that stress is something we should learn to embrace. In order to embrace stress, we have to understand that it is a part of life. However, it shouldn’t dominate our lives either.

What's up everybody? This is Brad H. reporting for duty once again, and you are tuned into another edition of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! I'm back for another week to hopefully bring some inspiration that will serve as motivation for us to keep on pressing forward. I hope that things have been well in your life as of late, and for those of us that live in areas where it gets super hot during the summertime that you're adjusting. For this week's soapbox section I'm going to be talking about the NBA for probably the last time until the next season rolls around. Well it looks as if the mighty Golden State Warriors won't be winning a 3rd straight title this season. Well let me not get ahead of myself here. They are down 3-1 in the NBA Finals, so there is a chance I suppose. However, like probably most other people that are following the finals are thinking, I'm not expecting them to come back from that deficit. Looks like the Toronto Raptors will be capturing their first NBA championship in their team's history. Full disclosure, I am personally pulling for the Warriors to win it all. I know a lot of people are tired of them winning, but I'm of the belief that this would likely be their last run. It's a general belief that Kevin Durant won't sign back there, and the likelihood of Demarcus Cousins coming back is not likely either. I do believe that they would have won this series had they not had all these injuries happen to them at once. Times like this are a reminder that injuries are the great equalizer when it comes to sports. We'll see what happens game 5 on Monday, but I would be shocked if the Warriors win in Toronto with all the energy that the Raptors fans will be bringing. Maybe they will extend it another game or two, but without Kevin Durant in the lineup, it's hard to see them beating this hurdle. Alright y'all, that's all for this week's soapbox, so lets go ahead and talk about this week's primary topic of how stress shouldn't dominate our lives.

Now I’m pretty certain that the majority of you that are reading this week’s topic and have lived long enough have a general understanding of what stress is. Stress is similar to most other aspects of life that deals with human emotions; it means different things for different individuals. For the context of this week’s topic that I’m covering, I’m going to use a general definition of stress that I came across that most of us can relate to. Stress is defined as “a feeling of emotional or physical tension. It can come from any event or thought that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous. Stress is your body’s reaction to a challenge or demand.” By this definition of what stress is considered to be, it is easy to imagine why it is a part of life. I believe that most of us can probably check off everything mentioned in this definition of stress as something we’ve experienced in our lives. The reasoning for my bringing this up is to hopefully show that it is okay for us to experience stress or be stressed out at times. Stress often is associated as something bad to our lives, and while it can be if it isn’t handle properly, stress by in large can also benefit us in particular circumstances. There is a body builder named Kai Greene that I heard say that in a video that “stress is a part of life, but stress makes us better, stress makes us live. Stress is how we know we’re alive. If we don’t know what stress is, then we don’t know what feels good.”

There are many sides and avenues to stress. One aspect of stress that most people talk about more frequently is the one that I alluded to in the beginning of this topic; the more negative side. I believe that most of us can agree that this is the type of stress that isn’t healthy nor beneficial to our lives. I brought up earlier how we’ve all talked about or head someone else talking about being stressed. Normally, there isn’t much, if any positive associated with this. You’re probably hard pressed to find someone complaining about being stressed complaining in a positive manner. At any rate, this is the type stress that can lead to health issues, and in worst cases it can spiral into other things that don’t need mentioning. Stress of this nature isn’t the kind that we need in our lives, yet despite the majority of people not needing or wanting this type of stress, it still exists in our lives. Now I brought up how stress has many degrees and variances. I bring this up to say that not all forms of stress are created equally, which also means that we all have different ways of handling the stress in our lives. Unfortunately for most people that deal with the more negative aspects of stress, the negative side can give birth to bad habits that can ultimately make a stressful situation even more stressful. Stress can cause our lives to snowball our of control, and this is why I feel it is vitally important that we find more creative ways to deal with the stress in our lives.

So now that we’ve addressed how stress can have both positive and negative benefits in our lives, what exactly does this mean, and what should we address stress in our lives? All of what I have brought up thus far has lead to the summation that whether it is beneficial or not, stress will always be a part of our lives. Stress is just one of those things in life that is inescapable. However, though it may be impossible to escape stress in life, it doesn’t have to dominate our lives also. When something dominates your life, it can take a hold of you to the point where it creates a false reality of how your life is. An emotion like stress depending on what form it takes in your life can do such a thing. It can make your life seem as if it is much worse than it actually is. This is why it’s vitally important to engage in activities that help curb the stresses that happen in our lives. Allowing stress to take over in our lives is something that can bring us to a dark place, and that’s something that we shouldn’t want. I talked earlier about embracing stress, but embracing stress doesn’t mean that we’re constantly welcoming it into our lives. From my perspective, embracing stress means that we’re aware that it comes and goes if we can accept that it is there, but also know when to let go of it. In closing, I would just say that acknowledge whenever stress comes into your life, but try not to allow it to dominate you. Accept it, embrace it, and then let it go if it doesn’t benefit you.

Well I think that pretty much wraps up this week's topic, so I'm going to go ahead and bounce. I hope that everyone that read this found it enjoyable or helpful, and I'd also like to thank you all once again for stopping through for another installment of 'Brad H.'s Perspective'! As I always say before I close, I hope that there was something meaning and understanding that could be gained from this. I also hope that those of you that have anything to add will do so in the comment box. You can also connect with me on Twitter @BradrickH if you're on Twitter. I hope you all are having a great weekend, and I hope that we all have a positive upcoming week. Stay cool out there, and if you're in an area where there is flooding happening, please stay safe. I'll see you all in the next topic. Peace!

©2019 Bradrick H. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment